Friday, February 29, 2008

Music can soothe even the most savage of beasts

We can further see the powerful effect music has on us when we examine our attitudes, behaviors, and mindsets when given a certain playlist. Music has the ability to alter a mood in an instant. I've found this through my own personal experiences with different types of music.

As a teenager in high school, I surrounded myself with angry and aggressive music all the time. Bands such as Slipknot, Godsmack, Mudvayne, Disturbed, and Drowning Pool all have an ambience of hate and anger surrounding their music. It is not just the lyrics referencing angst towards authority and life in general that affect the mood. The electric guitar played with certain distortion paired up with pounding drum and bass lines create an aggressive feeling in a person regardless of what is going on around him or her. Hearing the forceful guitar intro to Godsmack's "Keep Away" gets the blood and adrenaline pumping faster before any lyrics have been sung. Due to this anger that I constantly surrounded myself with, I spent most of my time angry and bitter. Anything that happened in my life that caused anger or hurt was fueled by repetitious hard rock.

In the past few years, I have discovered that there are so many more sides to music that I never allowed myself to appreciate when I was younger. The peaceful acoustic guitar and melodic lyrics of The Postal Service, the electronic ambience of Aphex Twin, or the love-filled lyrics of Bob Marley can soothe a troubled mind simply by playing in the background. Slower songs with simpler guitar lines and softer drum beats can affect a mood in a much more positive way than that of aggressive and upbeat music.

No comments: